The goals and objectives of the Bold Coast Scenic Byway Corridor Management Plan support the community’s vision for the byway and provide a framework to successfully accomplish the byway mission. Five key components establish the outline for development and implementation of this scenic byway corridor management plan: resource stewardship, the visitor experience, regional promotion, organizational sustainability, and multi-modal transportation safety and development. Specific strategies to achieve each goal and objective are outlined in Chapter 13, Six-Year Action Plan.
Goal 1—Protect Byway Resources
- Preserve and protect the scenic, natural, historic, cultural, and recreational resources of the Downeast region.
The Visitor Experience
Goal 2—Create New and Improve Existing Visitor Opportunities
- Invest in appropriate public facilities that ensure successful visitor experience.
- Improve and develop new visitor information and education regarding the way of life in Byway communities.
- Grow opportunities for the Byway visitor to access authentic experiences the region offers.
- Enhance hospitality services in the Byway communities.
- Support expanded recreation opportunities in the corridor.
- Support enhancement of non-recreation visitor activities in Byway communities.
Goal 3—Promote the Byway and Its Communities
- Develop and implement a comprehensive promotional plan for the Byway as a travel destination.
- Assist existing businesses, municipal governments, and promotional agencies in promoting the Byway/region.
- Strengthen existing and create new promotional materials.
- Establish clear objectives and benchmarks by which to evaluate the positive effect of promotional efforts on visitation and local economies.
Goal 4—Develop a Sustainable Byway Organization
- Build lasting partnerships with community, local government, and agency stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain a Byway management organization with stable participation and funding.
Goal 5—Increase Transportation Safety and Multi-modal Opportunities
- Provide a safe, efficient, and attractive transportation corridor that balances the needs of visitors, residents, and businesses.
- Create a byway visitor way-finding and interpretive signage system compatible with the MaineDOT state highway signage.